Its hard to believe that in less than two months I'll be a college graduate with a Bachelors degree from the University at Albany! In the blink of an eye I went from being 12 years old and wanting to be a star on Broadway to aspiring to be a social justice activist in my community and hopefully changing the world one day.
And now on the brink of completing my career as an Undergraduate I am faced with the decision:
-Where do I go from here?
And, through a messenger from the Fates, two of my study abroad besties Lenny and Sarai told me about this wonderful opportunity to become a North American Language & Culture Assistant in Spain. Naturally I jumped at the opportunity, and with excited zeal we signed up together in hopes that Lenny, Sarai and myself would be placed in the same place so that we could live together and experience Spain and it's ever beautiful regions and rich culture and intoxicating language that we got taste of during the summer of 2009. And by coincidence, Jack, the fourth member of our travel family ("The O'Brien Family") from our Spain 2009 study abroad experience also applied to the same program!
Yesterday all four of us received our regional placements in España and let me tell you that I have not been that excited about anything in a really long time! I was literally squealing with joy and jumping up and down, doubling over with disbelief! My roommates were concerned for my well-being as they had no idea what I was so worked up about! Lenny, Sarai and myself were placed in Andalucia, while Jack was placed in Madrid.
The waiting game this past weekend was not very fun. Until I received the "adjudicada" e-mail last night at 9:00 EST I became temporarily obsessed with checking the message boards, the facebook groups, other people's blogs, it was a bit scary how caught up I was in getting the automated message. But let me just say: it was worth it, because the excitement and joy knowing that I was placed in a region I am excited to live in (and believe me, there were regions that if I were placed in I would have thought twice about committing to) and that I actually have a post-graduation plan! (AYE - the forbidden word!)
I am so excited about this epic journey that I will embark on in this upcoming year! My mind is racing with anticipation! But I know that I still have about 6 months to get everything together until I leave on a jet plane to start the next chapter of my life abroad, and attempt to stuff my entire life into a suitcase or two under 23 kg!
But the next step is finding out what city and school I will be working in, so I will be awaiting the next e-mail. But this time I'm much more calm and confident because I know that anywhere in Andalucia will be beautiful and enjoyable!
So until then, I will relish knowing that my future in Andalucia will be worthwhile and something to look forward to!
No comments:
Post a Comment