My journey in this unpredictable life as a New Yorker living on the southern coast of Spain

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Sightseeing in Malaga

It's nearly November, we've been here a little over a month, and I've booked tickets to Amsterdam for Thanksgiving, Paris for Christmas, I'm in the midst of arranging to go to Switzerland for the beginning of December, all while constantly meeting and going out with fellow Auxiliares and Spaniards we've met. And yet there is still so much we have not explored right here in our own city - Malaga!

So, this Halloween weekend we had a 5 day weekend since Tuesday is Día de Todos Los Santos (All Saints Day) and to the Spanish - why take just Tuesday off when Monday is smack in the middle of the weekend and just take the day off por la cara (just for the hell of it!) Entonces - we have Monday and Tuesday off!

So to start off this fabulous puente Nick and I headed to Benalmadena to the street market again.

I was unable to resist temptation
and bought myself some typical Spanish shoes and a cute teeny purse

Then, despite November being just 4 days away, we ventured down the mountain side and to the beach where people were taking full advantage of the Costa del Sol's 320 days of sun; tanning topless and playing on the beach

Panoramic shot of the beach in Benalmadena

Nick and I enjoying the beach weather in late October

Saturday we went to the mall at Larios and did some shopping.

Then Sunday we went sightseeing in Malaga. And thanks to some research on the handy dandy internet we learned that on the last sunday of every month anyone can get into the Picasso Museum, the Alcazaba and the Gibralfaro Castle fo free!. So we made the rounds and did our own walking tour of Malaga.

But on the way to our first stop at the museum we were blocked by a typical random Sunday Catholic procession. 

I absolutely loved the music they were playing!
And you can hear a little bit of our panic when we thought we were in the direct path of the processions!
Then we made our way to the Picasso Museum
The amazing ceiling at the Picasso Museum

We couldn't take any pictures of the artwork but I loved the ceiling in the enterance hall

Then we marched our butts up a deisel mountain to the Alcazaba
Taking an opportunity to rest, catch our breath and
admire the view from halfway up the mountain

Inside the Alcazaba
And then treked back down the mountain and up again to get into the Castle
The funky Spanish trees that I love

And then back down to the mirador (lookout point) on the side of the mountain where we overlooked the city as the sun set over our new home (for the next few months) and we watched the whole city light up
We stayed to watch the sunset and it was a magnificent view over the whole city.
Definitely a sight to see while in Malaga!!
Aaah this is the life!

No comments:

Post a Comment