My journey in this unpredictable life as a New Yorker living on the southern coast of Spain

Friday, December 16, 2011

Coincidence or Fate?

When I graduated from the University at Albany I earned myself a Bachelor of Arts in Women's Studies.
I didn't know if I would ever directly use any of Women's Studies ideology, or forms of action while teaching in Spain; after all the struggle for equality among all people regardless of their sex, gender, race, religion, nationality, age, sexual orientation or physical ability (etc) goes beyond the academic classroom. But I'm working with elementary school aged kids - they're still learning their ABC's! I don't want to get ahead of myself.

But what do you know - my primary school has started a campaign that every month will be a different color and will bring up the issues of inequality in the education system in Spain.

This month the color is Black, a bold color to get people's attention.
When I walked into school the other day, the entrance and halls of the school have been covered with inspiring signs that promote acceptance and love to all different people.

Left to Right the signs read: Me, You, Him, Her, Us/ We are all equal/ Men, women, girls, boys, we're not different.

On the left the signs read:
"Don't ask me to do the impossible and change; love me."
"Accept me as I am. I accept you for you. Let us laugh and play together."
"We can make a great team. Let's not lose our way. We can gain more together"




On the right:
"December 3rd, international day for the disabled. <<There are many ways to be handicapped>> <<The most dangerous one is to have no heart>>
"Love me as I am, Accept me as I am"
"I accept you as you are."







<3 CEIP El Tomillar!
See, there's a reason why things happen the way they do; and now I can see why I was put at this school

No comments:

Post a Comment