My journey in this unpredictable life as a New Yorker living on the southern coast of Spain

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Just another fantastical weekend in southern Spain

You Only Live Once; Experience the World is my life motto.
For those of you that don't know me I have it tattoo'd to my left wrist as a daily reminder to live it up, don't let opportunities pass me by, don't let other people's perception change your view of what's awesome. The only regrets I have to this day are the chances I didn't take.

So this weekend even though I got super sick after our trip to Granada, and it actually thunder stormed here in Malaga Centro for 3 days straight, I didn't let that hinder my weekend festivities!


Friday Nick and I went to the weekly market which is in the Tivoli World parking lot

My homemade map to get from the Benalmadena train station to the
Tivoli World parking lot where the market is every friday

At this market they sell everything from fresh produce, to clothes and shoes, leather bags, soaps and lotions, Native American musical instruments, pottery and everything in between!

Flamenco dresses for sale

Hand made porcelain pots and plates

Accessories galore!

Definitely a market worth going to! It's about a 3 minute walk from the cercanias train stop in Benalmadena and everything is within the 1-20€ price range (which is exactly my style!) It's open from 9am-2pm every week, and I'm definitely stopping by again next week to pick up some supercute 6€ shoes! I have to start assimilating my wardrobe to las malagueñas (Malaga women) who wear heels everyday to every occasion, and I gotta step it up!

Then Saturday night we went to Oktoberfest here in Malaga

Oktoberfest in Malaga!

A litre of beer!

Def needed 2 hands to gulp it all down!


Enjoying our front row seats to the evening entertainment

And then the chicas came and met us!

Later that night we hosted some couchsurfers! (sadly, no photos)
As the four of us are busy researching away for places on this side of the Atlantic to visit, we've decided that the best way to save some €€ is to couchsurf.  Unfortch, most of the cool people with tons of great reviews from people who have hosted them or surfed on their couches won't give us the time of day because we have no references or credentials as good peoples =/

So we decided to take in an Italian girl for one night who was picking up her boyfriend at the Malaga airport. And it went pretty well! We didn't get to spend much time with them because she arrived to Malaga from Granada by bus at 10pm, then went right to the airport to get her boyfriend and it was 2am by the time they got to our place! Then they left at around 10am so we didn't really get to know them at all =/
BUT! They didn't rob us or kill us with our IKEA knives in the night while we slept! So overall a neutral/good first experience hosting couchsurfers!


And this was just another funfilled weekend here in Malaga, with many more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment