My journey in this unpredictable life as a New Yorker living on the southern coast of Spain

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Lays Fried Chicken

So today was technically the first day of work, but I didn't have to be in till 1:30 and school lets out at 2pm! haha Today my bilingual coordinator put together my horario (schedule) for the week.  I'll be working Monday-Thursday ((insert my schedule here when she gives it to me tomorrow - she was in such a rush to leave she didn't have time to make a photocopy for me! haha)) So I guess tomorrow will be my first real day of work!

So after two weeks of living off of chorizo sammiches and frozen pizzas me and Nick decided to make some comfort food: Fried Chicken.
Neither of us have ever fried chicken before so this was a little adventure for us.

After a very confusing ordeal at SuperSol (one of the chain supermarkets here in Malaga) I finally found breadcrumbs; Little did I know, I should have picked up seasoned breadcrumbs! haha And of course in our hustle to get back to the apartment after a long walk to the train station we didn't realize we didn't have any flour until we were about to start fryin up the oil. So (thank goodness for internet in our apartment!) we looked up alternatives to making fried chicken without flour.  Easy enough - people suggested we just soak the chicken for at least 5 mintues in milk and eggs, then dip it in breadcrumbs and cornflakes [despite the "27 years experience" chef who said that wouldn't work] it did!

But of course it couldn't be that simple for us: we had no corn flakes. BUT we did buy some Lays chips: tomato basil and onion flavor. So we decided to crush a handful of those up for some flavor and crunchy flakes and it was the best decision of the day!

Chips we crushed up and
used with the breadcrumbs

Our breadcrumbs and chips










And let me tell you the final product was like a taste of home!
Our fried chicken with Lays chips
BBQ sauce


We even picked up a little thing of BBQ sauce and 


altogether is was delish! So good that we inspired Lenny and Sarai to fry their chicken too ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment