My journey in this unpredictable life as a New Yorker living on the southern coast of Spain

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Being Spanish!

Another beautiful Sunday in southern Spain.

Typically a Sunday in southern Spain is truly a day of rest.
Southern Spains very traditional view on the matter: God rested on the seventh day; and so shall we.

For the most part all the stores, shops, tattoo parlors, banks, supermarkets, malls, and just about everything other than a few restaurants are closed for the day.

But, the Plazas are bustling, the outdoor tables and chairs of bars and restaurants are filled with people, the streets are crowded with elderly couples going on their weekly stroll, families out for a walk with their babes and puppies, kids playing football (aka for us Americans; soccer), people riding bikes or on rollerblades. It's really quite lovely to take it easy on Sundays.

So today I woke myself up early and decided to do as the Spaniards do on a typical Sunday.

I woke up and headed to the Malaga Catedral del Pescaito; which is the biggest church here in the city center, and went to Mass.
I was raised Presbyterian so going to a Catholic Mass is quite different than what I am used to. But quite lovely nonetheless.

Catedral del Pescaito on another gorgeous sunny Sunday morning in Malaga, Spain!

The beautiful stained glass window in the church

One of the epic organs in the church.
Can you see the little angel head poking out over the ledge looking down at me as I admire the beauty of the church?

Walking the streets after the morning service, I couldn't help but look up and take in all the gorgeous architecture of the authentic building facades that I pass every day, which serve as my little reminder of where I am.

So much Andalucian pride!

I absolutely love the floor to ceiling window/balconies that are typical of Malaga pisos!

When I made to Plaza de la Merced where I intended to tomar un poquito del sol (take in a little sun), read a few chapters of my borrowed book, and relax, I found an artisan fair!
I love them because most of the things are hecho a mano (made by hand) and are very unique, one of a kind, creative, products.  And I admire people with skills and who try to make an honest living putting their talents to good use (aka I usually lose all self control and buy a lot of things I don't really need, but I think are really pretty)

Some of the handmade accessories

A woman painting right at her table and selling her pieces 
One of the tables set up with baked goods - yummmm

After browsing the impressive tables and crafts and being content with my lovely purchase I headed into the Plaza to sit down and relax.

It was amazing. As I sat there looking around I was amazed at all the people out and about ejoying this peaceful day.

A panoramic of the Plaza de la Merced and all the people and families sitting, talking, minding children, riding bikes, playing football, and basic relaxing on this beautiful Sunday
I felt really lucky because not too long after I sat down a brass quintet began to play. It was amazing! The feeling was indescribable how serene it all was: the beautiful 65 degree weather and sunny in February, everyone happy and enjoying their company and day off, and this beautiful music to set the mood.


I was in love with it all!

And after the brass quintet left, about 45 minutes later, a group of Brazilian men came and started performing; dancing, beating drums, doing all kinds of flips across the Plaza.
The Brazilian Performers


A great day of rest and relaxation; doing as the Spaniards do and enjoying my Sunday in Malaga

2 comments:

  1. Love the tocados and the little bake sale! What a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! They were so pretty! And the baked goods tables were swarmed with people; I couldn't tell which had the tastiest treats!

    ReplyDelete