Today I had a Lori Day.
I indulged myself, went on a long leisurely walk along the port, which looks amazing!
They just finished the construction they've been working on since we arrived.
And it looks stellar!
| The Malaga port |
| The beautiful pergula and the walkway under it. Along the length of the walk is an amazing park and gorgeous fountains and jumbo playgrounds for children and adventurers alike! |
Then I got myself a delicious Smöoy frozen yogurt, and then I went to an Arabic Bath!!!!
| Self explanitory sign to the bath |
I've always wanted to go to a Turkish bath house and I finally found one right in the city center, about a 5 minute walk from my piso!! It's tucked away on a back alley away from the loud noises from the street or plazas but not too difficult to find with all the signs on the streets in the city.
It was amazing!!!
As it was my first time ever going to an Arabic bath I wasn't quite sure what to expect, what to do, what to wear, etc.
All I knew was that I wanted a thirty minute massage and to experience the bath (whatever that may mean; Was there a big huge tub that we all just sat in together? Were we just supposed to sponge ourselves clean standing next to fountains, like I've seen them do in the movies of ancient Egypt? I wasn't entirely sure)
When I got there I started with the massage. It was my first time ever getting a professional masage. It was so relaxing laying on the table with the little hole for my face, and the aroma of the oils my masseur was using were so comforting!
Then when it was over I headed to the baths. They gave me everything I would need for the bath; the towel, robe, flip flops, sarong, bucket and soap. The soap is handmade and smelled delicious! Good thing in the changing room there was an explanation of the different rooms and what their purposes were!
There are three rooms at all different temperatures, with hot and cold water running from fountains and faucets throughout. In each room are slabs of stone which are heated to the temperature of the room and you are supposed to lay or sit on them and the heat relaxes the muscles, and opens your pores, and feels amazing!
The first room is the hottest room at 45ºC (about 113ºF !). This room has a big octogon stone in the center and a gorgeous domed ceiling with traditional Muslim star light holes carved out in the ceiling.
The second room is at 40ºC (about 104ºF) which is definitely where I spend majority of my time.
and
The third room was at 30ºC (about 86ºF) which is the room designated to bring your body temperature back to normal.
((Unfortunately the rooms were SO hot that when I brought my camera in to take pictures it immediately steamed up and you couldn't see anything! ))
![]() |
| This is the hottest room: The octogon room. PHOTO COURTESY of the El Hammam website |
![]() |
| The second room: where I spent most of my time, using my bucket to pour hot and cold water all over myself and lathering on the amazing soap they had given me. PHOTO COURTESY of the El Hammam website. |
It was an amazing experience!
Something I would definitely not get to experience in the United States!
I highly recommend everyone to try an Arabic Bath at least once! It's all very different and foreign from the American culture and traditions, but a relaxing and peaceful experience.
Plus you smell super yummy afterwards too!
I think I'm gonna have to do it a few more times before I leave because it was so awesome!
P.S. bring a bathing suit!!
Have you ever been to a bath house?


No comments:
Post a Comment