![]() |
| The orange highlighted area is the Province of Malaga in the region of Andalucia |
Just a little history:
Beginning in 770 B.C. the Phoenicians first inhabited this ideal port location. After them came centuries of civilizations fighting to gain control of the city; the Carthaginians, the Romans, the Visigoths, the Moors (who ruled peacefully over 800 years), of course the Catholic Monarchs, Napoleon and then there was Franco the dictator. Now there is a Democratic state here in Spain. (Even though Spain still has a King. he isn't an absolute ruler, he's basically just a figurehead to keep up traditions - Spain has a President today).
Malaga is great; it has a little bit of everything within the region and for thousands of years everyone was fighting to get a piece of this!
Of course there are the famous Costa del Sol beaches that many expats flock to,
There are the beautiful rolling mountains that are but 10 minutes away from the beaches,
There is the bustling city life for those that are looking to be in the center of an up-and-coming area with tons of bars, restaurants, shopping, new and old customary Spanish things; like tattoo shops right next to dress shops that sell traditional Flamenco outfits,
There are the quieter more serene neighborhoods with a "Small Town" feel where you can have a personal relationship with your grocer, butcher or pharmasist,
There are historical and ancient monuments and landmarks that create the typical European atmosphere that truly sets Europe apart, and always reminds me of just how old these cities are - some pieces of architecture are older than my whole country!
And it's all within the Autonomous region of Malaga!
I've been to the beaches, I've been to the city center (I live in the historic center of the city), I've been to all the landmarks and touristy places in the city center (several times!) So it was about time for me to take a trip to the quieter area of Malaga; where the real Spaniards live their quiet, peaceful, lives in the picturesque villages in the mountains.
This week I took a trip with one of the teachers I work with, Alicia my bestie, to the pueblo blanco (white village) that she grew up in, Tolox. And it was amazing!!
I really got to experience a Spanish lifestyle for a few days! Not just as a tourist or expat working abroad and making a day trip to a small village, snapping a few pictures and eating at a local restaurant then hopping on a bus back home. This time I was actually engulfed in the Spanish cultue for a few days with Alicia, her husband Johnny, and their 15 month old baby, Lorenzo; and her entire family!
It was so exciting to spend a few days in a place where no one speaks English, most people haven't ventured very far from the Iberian peninsula, where the core of the family is never more than a short walk (or car ride away), and dinner plans with the whole family are at least once a week. It was great! Such a change from my own lifestyle in New York City!
Everyone I met in the town was either family or practically family, but it didn't make a difference to them; Each person I met greeted me with a big tight hug and two huge kisses, and an enthusiastic "Wonderful to meet you!!" --A very Spanish way of greeting anyone, and a great way to avoid that awkward moment when you meet someone for the first time in America and you don't know if you should shake their hand, or just smile politely at them, or welcome them with open arms.
My whole trip was beautiful. The company, the views, the town, the food; everything was amazing!
Pictures really can't adequately capture how beautiful it all was, but I did my best!
When we first arrived we were in the pueblo blanco
| The view of Tolox on our way into the village |
| The main square where all of the town's events take place |
This is a place where the houses are just as beautiful, all white - they are not painted white, but are done with this old custom of heating special rocks and using the cal that comes from them to create the white look of the homes - there is no electricity and only a few houses dot the mountain: otherwise it's all orange trees, lemon trees, avocado trees, fig trees, natural wells where the delicious mountain water flow down to, animals, unpaved roads where most of the workers ride their donkey to get up to.
A real place of nature and beauty, that doesn't compare to the craziness of city living!
I loved it here! And was so caught up in the serenity of it all.
| The amazing view of the mountains from the front door of the house in the mountains |
| Alicia's mom preparing a delicious paella Remember: there is no electricity here in the mountains so the only way to cook is over an open fire in this cooking pit outside! |
| The cooking pit and the front patio have the most stunning views of the mountains. I couldn't get enough of them! |
| Enough paella, chorizo, ensalada, pan, conejo con verduras and fried delights for 8 adults and 3 kids It was amazing!! |
| Just absolute majestic beauty in this tiny town of Tolox; and I loved it! |
A beautiful place and wonderful people! Hopefully I'll get to go back a few more times before my year in Spain is over!

No comments:
Post a Comment